It’s in the trees! It’s coming!

The Mortal Bath has a few different sections. ‘Sunday in the garden’ records the process of fixing up a suburban plot.

This week in ‘Sunday in the garden’, the excitement has been to get away from the unending task of de-brambling the veg patch, with an increasingly battered fork, to engage in the construction of a treehouse in the overgrown laurel.

Last week I got hold of some pallets, ripe for repurposing (a word which, I’m amused to note in an article aggrandising my DIY, autocorrect seems to think should be ‘repair posing’). The mostly intact ones are going to contain a compost pile (see next week’s SITG…), but the one that arrived in several pieces was quickly earmarked for summat different. There aren’t many occasions one gets the opportunity to make a treehouse for one’s kids, I suspect, so here we went.

There was some protracted wrangling of the base. I worked out quite quickly we’d have to knock off two end slats, but the right configuration in the tree was proving elusive. Eventually, I worked the floor piece round the complete other way to the way I’d thought – of course! – and got it fixed in place.

image

Actually fitting the space and looking ‘organic’ too. At the other corner:
image

Meanwhile, on the other side, supporting struts and side pieces slotted in nicely.

image

The main idea had been to keep it ‘rustic’ – another irritatingly buzzy adjective, meaning simply unfussy, with perhaps an extra dash of slap in the execution – and so it was at least partly design that the two end sections…
image

…forming a wind and/or child falling break…
image

… came together neatly looking like a kind of ship’s prow. Everything was done with screws anyway, facilitating removal or replacement in case of some sort of balls-up, which added a sense of ease and lack of bother to the process.

The view from inside:
image

Some extra panels on the right (as you look) followed, and there’ll be more going up on the left as well. We’ll probably need a roof of some sort as well at some point. However, the little one had started helping by this stage, road testing the platform and pronouncing it ready to entertain guests, so I was happy to leave it at that, and a fine morning’s work.

In the afternoon, we managed to get in a bit of lino in (pre-schooler beneficiary stomping up and down on it actually helpfully):
image

… but I couldn’t locate the right tool to trim it down. Besides which, the sun had had enough by that point, retreating behind a thick and chilly layer of cloud, and it was time for lunchy.

Next week: back to the forking…

Advertisements